1. WHO CAN ENTER: Entry is open to any legal resident of the State of Michigan.
2. HOW TO ENTER: Images may be submitted by U.S. Postal Service (“mail”) or electronic mail (“email”). All entrants must complete a Photo Contest Entry Form (“Entry Form”) and an Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity/Liability Release (“Affidavit”), and submit a signed copy of each via mail or email to the addresses listed on the Affidavit. Illegible or incomplete Entry Forms and Affidavits will not be considered. Images submitted will not be returned and all submissions become the property of the Sanilac Tourism Association (“Sponsor”). The Sponsor is not responsible for lost or damaged images or delays in delivery.
3. CONTEST PHOTO CATEGORIES AND PHOTO FORMAT RESTRICTIONS: Entrants are asked to submit images that may reasonably be classified under any of the four separate categories listed below. Subject matter, if not unique to Sanilac County, should at least convey images that are representative of life in Sanilac County. One First Prize winner will be selected in each category:
• Events and Tourist Attractions (in Sanilac County)
• Water Sports, Golf and other Activities (in Sanilac County)
• People Enjoying the Amenities of Sanilac County
• Still Life and Scenic Views (with Sanilac County subject matter)
All images must be full color and submitted in jpeg or tif file format. Entrants may submit only original photographs of which they are the sole owner of any copyright or other property or privacy rights. Submissions of photographs taken by someone other than the contestant will not be considered.
Minor digital enhancement to a photograph is permitted, but images that have been significantly modified or appear unnatural will be disqualified. Modifications prohibited include: borders or frames; watermarks, signatures, or copyright notices; adding or replacing elements in an image; and artistic filters. Examples of modifications that are allowed: cropping and rotation; resizing so long as the aspect ratio is maintained; red-eye removal and spot editing; and use of corrective functions to improve the natural appearance of the image, such as levels, contrast, brightness, curves, intensity, tone, hue, saturation, lightness, value, color balance, and tint.
4. JUDGING CRITERIA AND SELECTION OF WINNERS: Submissions will be judged on the basis of creativity, uniqueness, quality, and effectiveness in conveying the beauty and/or character of the subject matter. Judging will be conducted by a panel of judges selected by the Sponsor. All decisions by the judges will be final, including determining if a photo meets the subject matter criteria. Multiple entries are permitted. Deadline for submitting your entry is December 31, 2018. This is the date by which entries must be received and not a postmark date. If you are emailing your entry, look for a reply email within five (5) business days, confirming that your images have been received.
Prize winners will be selected no later than March 31, 2019. All winners will be notified by mail, email and/or telephone using the contact information provided on their Entry Form. Notification will be attempted a minimum of five (5) times. If any winner does not respond to their email notification within thirty (30) days of its transmission or the email address provided is not operational, their prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. If a telephone number provided is non-operative, their prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner.
5. PRIZES: Prizes will be awarded by December 31, 2019. One First Prize winner will be selected in each individual category. The entries selected may be used in the 2018 edition of the Sanilac County Visitors’ Guide (“Guide”), but whether or not the winning photos will be used in the Guide will be left to the discretion of the judges. Even if the winning photos are not used in the Guide, the aforementioned prizes will still be awarded.
6. TERMS: By entering the contest, entrants: (i) acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules, including eligibility requirements and copyright ownership of submitted images; (ii) agree to be bound by the decisions of the judges; and (iii) agree that the Sponsor has sole discretion to resolve any disputes. All entry information becomes the property of Sponsor. Entrants retain the copyright to their images; however, by entering the contest, entrants grant Sponsor a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free license to display any submitted images along with entrant’s name on Sponsor’s website and within Sponsor advertising and promotions without any fee or other form of compensation. Sponsor may make and retain copies of any submitted image for contest and archival purposes. If the ownership of any image or rights to a submitted image is contested in any manner, Sponsor retains the right to disqualify the entry and discontinue use of the image. The Sponsor (i) makes no warranty, guaranty or representation of any kind concerning any prize; (ii) disclaims any implied warranty; and (iii) is not in any way responsible or liable for damage, loss or injury resulting from altered, late, lost, damaged, misdirected, mutilated, illegible or incomplete entries, or human, telephone, computer, online, or technical malfunctions, failures or difficulties (including busy lines and disconnections) of any kind, or acceptance and use of a prize or travel in connection with such prize. Winner assumes liability for injuries caused or claimed to be caused by participating in the contest, or by the acceptance, possession or use of any prize.
7. CONDITIONS: Any tax due on any prize received is the sole responsibility of the winner. The Sponsor reserves the right to verify eligibility qualifications of all prize winners. Prize winners may be required to submit additional information or complete additional forms for tax purposes. If asked to do so, failure to submit the information or return the requested form(s) within ten (10) business days may result in forfeiture of eligibility to be awarded a prize, and Sponsor may select an alternate prize winner.
All entrants hereby consent to the use of their name and submitted image (if requested) for promotional purposes without any compensation, unless prohibited by law. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of this contest as solely determined by the Sponsor will be disqualified from winning any prize. In the event the contest is compromised by a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend or terminate the contest and award prizes in a later contest. Once submitted, entries cannot be changed or withdrawn from the contest.
8. PRIVACY: By entering into this contest, the entrant also agrees to the Sponsor's use of their personal information in connection with the publication of their winning photo in the Guide.
9. SPONSOR: Sanilac Tourism AssociationOfficial Rules / Entry Form